With their majestic appearance and lavish interiors, luxury trains in India course through the rich cultural heritage of India and provide an odyssey of dreams to their occupants. Opulence and grandeur are the major criteria offered by these affluent trains. One such luxurious train includes the Royal Orient which caters to providing delightful experiences to its on-board guests.
Anyone who books tickets for this train needs to frequently check his/her PNR because the tickets for the train sell like hot pockets, especially foreigners. Travelling in this train helps passengers unwind from their fast-paced and busy lives and enjoy the special VIP treatment given to them. The train offers an itinerary packed with loads of sightseeing and mouth-watering meals.
Trips by this train offer crossing the Great Indian Desert during the night and exquisite Rajasthani cities during the day. Any tourist aboard this train can visit places where he/she can feel the serenity of the Arabian Sea, the spirituality of ancient Jain temples and tour the forests filled with lions in Safari rides.
History of the train-
- The train commenced its journey in 1994-95 as a joint venture of Tourism Corporation of Gujarat and the Indian Railways.
- During the first few years, the passenger count dropped from 25% in the first year to 15% in the next year and this caused losses initially. However, an overhaul in 2007 caused things to look up and the train started making profits.
- The train has been painted in blue so that passengers can distinguish it from the Palace on Wheels.
- The train boasts of 13 coaches and saloons to provide an unforgettable journey of seven days and nights to its guests. These coaches that provide a 5-star experience to passengers are named after erstwhile kingdoms of Rajputana.
- This luxury train is well equipped with multi-cuisine restaurants that offer delicacies in Rajasthani, Gujarati, Chinese, and continental cuisines that will tickle the taste buds. The cabins on the train offer comfort palatial style spacious baths. There is a library which hosts books which talk about rich Indian history and events of the world.
- The Royal Orient courses through the cities of Chittorgarh, Jaipur, Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Mehsana, Junagarh, Veraval, Sasa-ngir, Mandvi, Palitana and Sarkhej after commencing its journey from Delhi Cantonment railway station.
- It brings tourists face to face with some of India’s greatest historical heritage sites which include the Qutub Minar, Red Fortand Jama Masjid in Delhi, Chittorgarh Fort and Rani Padmini’s Palace in Chittorgarh, Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad, Lake Palace in Udaipur, the Gir Wildlife Sanctuary in Gujarat and the Hawa Mahal and Jantar Mantar in Jaipur.
- Folk performances and cultural programs are the pinnacles of the royal exposure that is provided to the guests. These features of the Royal Orient Express ensure an enjoyable journey for tourists.
The Royal Orient train is the jewel of Gujarat tourism and Indian Railways. It facilitates the growth of tourism and familiarizes the tourists with the royal Indian past. The various forts of the Rajputs, as well as the Mughal architecture that is witnessed on this glorious ride, make foreigners acquainted with the diverse India culture.