A beautiful cradled-shaped hanging valley in the laps of the Garhwal Himalayas. Har ki Doon is a hidden jewel in Uttarakhand which offers great vistas of the mighty snow-capped mountains. The valley is famous among trekkers and travelers.
Har ki Doon is perched at an elevation of 11,768ft at the base of Fateh Parvat. It is also known by “the valley of gods”. The valley is wrapped in myths and beliefs. One can hear a lot of stories about the old era and ancient architecture will make you believe in the stories.
The beautiful trek is of 47km and can be covered in 7 days. The trek offers great scenic vistas of lush meadows, vast pastures, dense groves of rhododendron, snow-capped peaks, and incredible landscapes. It starts from a small village Sankri and passes through small villages and hamlets like Osla, Taluka, Seema, Jakhol, and beautiful campsites. Har ki Doon gives you the opportunity to explore the lifestyle, hardships, and culture of the Pahadi villages. Listen to the old stories, visit the temples & monuments, stay in homestays to experience the lifestyle and have delicious cuisines.
The best time to do this adventure is in winter months. The trek is a paradise for birdwatchers. It gives you a chance to see the Govind Pashu National Park.
Here are some useful travel tips for Har ki Doon Trek:
The very first thing for this trek is fitness and wellness. If you are planning to undertake this adventure then prepare your body accordingly. Start exercising prior to the trek, it will help you to increase the stamina and strength. Flexibility and endurance are the two important aspects that will help you to trek.
High altitude treks demands strong breathing ability because the oxygen level decreases as you gain altitudes. Yoga will help to make the lungs strong. Apart from physical fitness, it is important to be mentally strong and motivated for the trek.
Planning in advance will help you to travel smoothly at any destination. Trek planning is very important.
Start your planning with the:
- Weather conditions: Check the weather conditions prior and prepare accordingly. Though no one has any control over the Himalayan climatic conditions. Check the weather when you are willing to embark on the trek. Like,
In summer months, May-June you will experience pristine white snow on which you can trek and have fun. From mid-June, the snow starts melting and the weather becomes hotter.
In monsoon months, August- September, the trek covered with blossoms and lush greenery. Due to the hotter temperature, no snow will be there. Feast your eyes with lush greenery.
The best time to experience the beauty and enjoy snow is in winter months, November-December. Loads of fresh snow and chilling weather.
Read the route map and about the place, people thoroughly.
Thisngs to carry:
- Clothes (according to the season)
- Fleece jackets or windcheaters (winter season)
- Trekking shoes
- Trekking pole
- Essential toiletries
- Water bottle
- Swiss Knife ( a multi-purpose toolset)
- Raincover for bag
- Woolen cap and gloves
- First aid kit
- Water purifying pills
- Hand sanitizer
- Trek pants and trousers
- Lip balm
- Camera (if you want to carry)
- Map of the trek route
- ID proof
Other things to keep in mind:
- Do not litter. Follow the leave no trace policy
- Do not misbehave. Do follow the norms of the place
- Always listen to your trek leader
- Do not use chemical soaps while taking a bath in the natural lakes or waterfalls.
- Inform prior to your family about the trek and explain your itinerary to at least one person.
- Network connectivity issues are very common in hilly areas. Carry a journal of emergency contacts and whenever your mobile gets the network to inform your family and tell your location.
- Do not harm the surroundings and animals.
- Do not wander alone. It can be dangerous.
- Take adequate breaks while trekking and keep yourself hydrated.
- Delay the trek if the weather conditions get worse and out of control.
Har ki Doon adventure starts from Dehradun and moves further to Sankri village which is 193km from Dehradun.
The capital city is well connected to major cities like Delhi, Chandigarh, Lucknow, Kolkata, etc.
- Take a direct flight from Delhi to the Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun. You will find a lot of cabs and buses that are willing to take you to Sankri village.
- Take a direct train from Delhi to Dehradun and reach Sankri.
- Take a direct bus from Delhi to Dehradun and reach Sankri by taking a private cab or local bus.
All these were the important and useful tips to remember when planning to trek in Har ki Doon valley. Experience nature and its changing colors into sudden serene sceneries. Plan a trip and make it a memorable one.
All the best for your adventure!!
LIVE. TRAVEL. EXPLORE!